Upcoming Shows




We've been named as a official selection in the Southern Circuit of Filmmakers Tour, March 17-24.

Shows are in Hapeville, GA 3/17, Madison, GA 3/20, Orangeburg, SC 3/22, Gainsville, GA 3/23, and Manteo, NC 3/24.
Learn more by going to the SouthArts blog.

View the theatrical trailer for A Gift for the Village

Monday, July 5, 2010

Small Wonder

July 5th: Greetings from Ashleigh

While lazing around the hotel in the blistering afternoon heat of this surprising tropical village set in the gaze of some of the highest, snowiest mountains on Earth, I smile at how familiar Pokhara feels to my travel-worn feet. Banana trees
surfing the breeze, electric-chirping cicadas, curiously independent toddlers dancing through the streets: have I been here before? I sit quiet and calm and think to myself: not every day has to be a revelation or a revolution, for that matter. Why is it that we so often place what is new and novel on a pedestal that glares at what is ordinary and similar and strangely familiar? Some of the most extraordinary gems of life hide in the soft shadow of every-day moments. The kind of moments that are easy to live thoughtlessly are full of mica-like gifts just waiting to be recognized by seeing eyes. I laugh at myself for how I have to coach myself through the beauty of a lazy afternoon; how I have to remind myself that the binding glue of a journey does not reveal itself all at once like the light explosion of a festive sparkler; how I am integrating the many teachings of Jane's Creative Process class, of Yoga, of vagabond feet into the present moment: re-weaving theory as practice. And just then, as I am lost in thought and laughing at myself in joyful quiet, Ella and Mary boom onto the seen with grace and invite me to play. Of course! And out of the ordinary afternoon, heavy with tropical laze, booms the firework-wonder of two young girls who remind me of the magic hidden in the walls of the hotel garden. We dance through the green and pink buzz and speak in British accents as if we are tour guides pointing out every movement, every sound, every small wonder hidden in rocks, in trees, in rusty spiral staircases and mountain views: bliss blooms in the crystal-shine of our silly voices. How grateful I feel to learn the world through the eyes of these two sisters, Mary and Ella, whose eyes, like telescopes, find new constellations hidden in the everyday sky. We sing ourselves silly: a round of In The Jungle that lets us try our hand at harmonizing. Such fun: barefoot in the garden; raising our voices in song. Thank you Mary and Ella: for your eyes, for your laughter, for sharing the joy of spirited song. You remind me why I want to spend my life learning from children. -Ashleigh

1 comment:

teri said...

Simply a most perfect statement-

"Some of the most extraordinary gems of life hide in the soft shadow of every-day moments. The kind of moments that are easy to live thoughtlessly are full of mica-like gifts just waiting to be recognized by seeing eyes."

Blessings- teri