Upcoming Shows




We've been named as a official selection in the Southern Circuit of Filmmakers Tour, March 17-24.

Shows are in Hapeville, GA 3/17, Madison, GA 3/20, Orangeburg, SC 3/22, Gainsville, GA 3/23, and Manteo, NC 3/24.
Learn more by going to the SouthArts blog.

View the theatrical trailer for A Gift for the Village

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

July 11th, from Jane. Sherrie and Jason and Jenna have gone climbing up a shaley vertical hill across from Kagbeni, affectionately knwn as the "zig zag," visible from a two days' walk up toward the Thorung-la. Supposedly this walk takes two hours, and I took my trekking poles to climb as well, but was called by the song of the river. I abandoned the morning walk immediately and went to the river's edge, to hunt for rocks. I couldn't help thinking of my father all morning, since he is who taught me how to walk, stoop, look, pick up, turn over, and think about small objects. I also couldn't help thinking of Joe Fox, who loves rocks, and of Sammy Robbins, who would go positively insane here, having to leave behind HUNDREDS of perfect rocks. I do have a pocket full, several "circle rocks" that have a perfect circle of quartz running arounf them, but also a few dozen tiny black and whie "tiger rocks," with little circles and tiger stripes making them look like eyes and string wrapped around a dark round core. I also found a rock I had never seen anywhere on earth except for the Rajasthani Indian Thar Desert, outside of Jaislamer. This rock is curry and brown, a curly, detailed mixture of fossil impressions that looks like Arabic script. And on the mountain I studied the slate-blue, brick-red, and camel-yellow shards of crumbly shale in their dozens of miniature rockslide piles--as Jenna and Sherrie and Jason ascended like goats--and looked at the "sugar" (miniature crystals) that sparkled on each of these colors.

No one was near me, not even an animal, on my side of the Kali-Gandaki. It is treacherous to reach the shore, because one has to walk on angular landslide bits and pieces, but I did go down to the water, to see that the silt is a sensuous dark indigo color, richer than gray, and molded by the winds into fantastic damp repeating curls of shadow: this is Kali's skin, I thought; the Hindu Fierce and Dark Mother's body. At some point, I heard what sounded like an eagle calling--black ones fly here--and I turned to see one Indian sadhu with his hair matted into a Dairy Queen spiral and his bright orange thin robe waving like feathers in the breeze. He was on the trail above me, and just wanted to call out a greeting. I yelled up, "Namaskar, Sadhu!" and he beamed at the respectful greeting, waved heartily, and disappeared around the bend.

For two hours I hunted along the riverbank and filled my pockets with these exquisite rocks, and then sat and watched the other side of the river, where our medieval village is perched on the very edge of the pebbly cliff. I saw Tibetan women whose profiles showed their Navajo cheekbones even from a distance. I saw Hindu wanderers washing themselves at a tap. I saw old grandmothers squatting to use the toilet outside, and laboring to stand upright again. Had any of these people looked over to where I was, they would have seen me only as another rock, or as a shadow. This landscape is made for thoughts as long as rivers, for prayers that can withstand the tattering brutality of this gorge-wind, and for people who do not expect to be any more important than a few beautiful seasons and a few productive fields.

Beth Macy, Tom Landon's wife and our friend, has forwarded to me a great article about our trip that I hope she or Tom can post and link to this blog-spot of ours, a feature article in Roanoke City Magazine on-line. Thank you, Beth. We know you and Carl and Ken and your families are all very excited to get your people back home. We loved having them here and look forward to more of their posts and to your comments. In a few hours, Cy and Tsampa and his sn Tsewang will be here with us in Kagbeni, and so will our certified and insured guide Narayan, whose presence is required for us to have permission to go into Upper Mustang, Nepal's most remote and most restricted area. We begin this trek tomorrow, as I have said, and we will be gone for twelve days. All of you please take good care of yourselves, as we will, and Iris and Emerson, know that I am sending you my love.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.citymagazineonline.com/category/art

link to aforesaid article

love

some hermit

Anonymous said...

citymagazineonline.com/category/art

try this one

Anonymous said...

Jane, I absolutely love your descriptions of the many explorations you've made, the people you meet and interact with. All of the blogs I've read are wonderful.. but especially your's, Jenna's and Tom's. When I read these descriptions, I feel like I'm right there beside you and such is as in the last one, I felt like, "I can't wait until you get home to see all the different stones you've brought home", for I too, was brought up picking up a pocketful of rocks to spread out over the dining room table and share the new treasures I've found. Thank you so much for all that you share. Namaste, Keith

reba said...

Jane, Jenna, Sherrie and Jason: How can I be so happy to be at home and sad (to not be there with you guys) simulaneously?
You know what is so GREAT? I can SEE, SMELL, HEAR and FEEL what you are describing, it's ALMOST as if I am still there. Thanks for the postings.
Safe travel, my friends. I love you all.
Reba

陳帥 said...

馬桶 馬桶不通 國外旅遊 國外機票 團體旅遊 直航機票 簽證熱水器 蘭花 化糞池 抽化糞池 便宜機票 國內旅遊 抽水肥 太陽能 水管不通 洗水塔 消毒 通水管 通馬桶 馬桶 馬桶不通 上順旅行社 五福旅行社 大興旅行社 天喜旅行社 天福旅行社 日本旅行社 日本旅遊 日本機票 日本自由行 日本訂房 包通 抽化糞池 抽水肥 水管不通 洗水塔 自由行 訂房 雄獅旅遊 汽車美容 汽車美容 三久太陽能黃金價格查詢 貸款 信用貸款

陳帥 said...

網路行銷食品批發 拉麵 T恤 慈善 店面租賃 店面出租 店面出售 花茶 花草茶 肝癌 健康檢查 身體檢查 飛梭雷射 雷射溶脂 直航機票 養生茶 招牌 led招牌 招牌製作 美國月子中心 保養 美國月子中心 美國月子中心 團體服 OBU 投審會 會計師事務所 會計師 工商登記 彌月蛋糕 公司登記 保時捷 法拉利 福利 <包子 肉粽 宅配美食 四神湯 搬家公司 訂房網花東旅遊 桃園土地 桃園房屋仲介 巴里島

陳帥 said...

搬家公司 月子中心 seo 關鍵字廣告 關鍵字 google關鍵字廣告 關鍵字行銷 網路行銷 通姦 徵信社 外遇 桃園房屋仲介 桃園房屋買賣 桃園房屋 醫學美容診所 淨膚雷射 雷射溶脂 飛梭雷射 微晶瓷 植髮 團體服 團體服訂做 醫學美容診所 肉毒桿菌 肉毒桿菌瘦臉 醫學美容 整型診所 美國月子中心 徵信 徵信公司 出軌 清潔公司台北搬家公司 整形 韓風整形 整形 韓風整形 老人癡呆症 情緒管理 訂房網 線上訂房 室內裝潢 裝潢 裝潢工程 房屋裝潢 舊屋翻新 裝潢施工 木工裝潢 居家裝潢 室內裝潢設計 裝潢設計

陳帥 said...

素食餐廳 交友 婚友 婚友社 婚友聯誼 愛情公寓 相親 相親銀行 聯誼 命理網 姓名學Hook and Loop 婚禮佈置 情人花束 新竹花店婚友聯誼社 愛情會場佈置 氣球佈置二手車健檢 醫學美容 淨膚雷射 汽車美容 法拍屋 水餃 清潔公司 塑膠袋批發 塑膠袋工廠 實驗動物 到府坐月子 坐月子 坐月子中心 坐月子餐 孕婦 月子餐 到府坐月子 中古車 今日金價 坐月子中心 坐月子中心台中 坐月子中心台北 台北人力銀行

陳帥 said...

洗鞋加盟 酒店式公寓 旅行社 slot machine manufacturer 杭州旅遊 北京自由行 上海自由行 旅遊網 律師 台北民宿 手提紙袋 紙袋工廠 包裝紙袋 手提袋 包裝盒 股票教學 股市分析 股市億萬贏家 股票軟體 股票行情 太陽能 塑膠射出成型 iso認證 iso 團體旅遊 簽證 保養 美國月子中心 slot game machine slot machine cabinet 便宜機票 展場設計 二手車 中古車 Bmw 中古車買賣 汽車借款 gaming machine manufacturer 班服 熱轉印 團體服訂做 gaming machine 大陸直航 新竹餐廳 下午茶l

陳帥 said...

水管不通> 馬桶 馬桶不通 上順旅行社 五福旅行社 大興旅行社 天喜旅行社 天福旅行社 日本旅行社 日本旅遊 日本機票 日本自由行 日本訂房 包通 彌月禮盒 搬家公司 會場設計 紙盒訂裝 展覽設計 展場設計 展覽設計 消防設備 消防設備 機電 崴立機電 牙齒美白 特色餐廳 景觀餐廳 親子餐廳 植牙 牙周病治療方法 植牙費用 牙周病 光纖美白除毛 肉毒桿菌除皺 便宜機票 國內旅遊 紙袋包裝 當鋪 當舖 拉麵 T恤 慈善 店面租賃 店面出租 店面出售 Plastic Drinking Cups 宜蘭民宿 花茶 花草茶 肝癌 健康檢查 身體檢查 飛梭雷射 雷射溶脂 直航機票 養生茶 招牌 美國月子中心 彌月k

陳帥 said...

早洩 漆彈 情趣用品 湯包 宜蘭民宿 宜蘭住宿 網路訂房 宜蘭飯店 新娘祕書 清潔公司 植牙 裝潢 室內設計 油漆粉刷 油漆工 油漆工程 洗鞋加盟 洗包包加盟 洗包包 創業加盟店 早餐店加盟 開店創業 創業開店 結婚金飾 鑽石婚戒 通水管 通水管 出軌 清潔公司 台北搬家公司 整形 韓風整形 整形 韓風整形 老人癡呆症 情緒管理 訂房網 線上訂房 室內裝潢 裝潢 裝潢工程 房屋裝潢 舊屋翻新 裝潢施工 木工裝潢 居家裝潢 團購美食 裝潢設計 馬桶 馬桶不通 國外旅遊 國外機票 團體旅遊 直航機票 簽證 熱水器 蘭花 化糞池 抽化糞池 抽水肥j

陳帥 said...

Injection molding ISO9001認證 射出成形 塑膠製成品 塑膠模具設計 模具開發 精密射出 縫衣機塑件 Industrial PCB Heavy Copper PCB Microwave PCB Medical PCB 醫學美容診所 肉毒桿菌 肉毒桿菌瘦臉 醫學美容 整型診所 美國月子中心 徵信 徵信公司 網路行銷 食品批發 交友 婚友 婚友社 婚友聯誼 愛情公寓 相親 相親銀行 聯誼 命理網 姓名學 Hook and Loop 婚禮佈置 情人花束 新竹花店 婚友聯誼社 Odm 台北法拍屋 愛情 會場佈置 印刷 彩色印刷 包裝 設計 pe膜 冬令營 food processing equipment frying machine Telecom PCB 泡菜 團購美食 油飯 麻糬
創業加盟 水餃 壯陽食品 i

陳帥 said...

四神湯 搬家公司 訂房網 花東旅遊 桃園土地 桃園房屋仲介 巴里島 到府坐月子 中古車 坐月子中心 坐月子中心台中 坐月子中心台北 台北人力銀行 三久 櫻花牌熱水器 素食月子餐 桃園房屋 桃園房屋網 通馬桶 抽水肥 包通 馬桶不通 通馬桶 通水管 DC Jack tact switch Slide switch Phone Jack USB connector RCA Jack 開 關 製網 菱形網 不鏽鋼網 金屬網 無塵室射出 Disposable plastic cups Disposable plastic cups Disposable products 宜蘭住宿 Oem代工廠 ECO products Biodegradable plastic PLA 律師事務所 律師 寵物醫院 polylactic acid Biodegradable 搬家公司 喇叭網 塑膠射出廠 Plastic injection Mold development Injection Mold Plastic injection molding led招牌 h